2022 was an incredible year, one that we will look back at as redefining what is normal in our every day lives. While stumbling out of the cloud of Covid and its accompanying fears and panic we landed, seemingly miraculously, into an environment of legalized cannabis. The forced hibernation of the previous two years gave way to windows of discovery, excitement, creativity and opportunity through the many paths cannabis paved. We, individually and as a greater community,are all better for this for cultural, societal, and economic reasons. But also, and just as important, we can now enjoy and partake in our cannabis freely, openly without criminal repercussions.
To this end, I would like to share with everyone my favorite strains of 2022. These may not necessarily be my highest rated strains of 2022 (which may point to a flaw in my own rating system) but they nonetheless are the strains that I routinely think of and yearn for. Strains which have impacted me and which I will always associate with 2022—our stub year of legalization. I present the following list in chronological order—not in the order of preference.
- Wild Thai (locally sun grown in Northern Thailand):Energetic and incredibly euphoric—this was my 2022 go to in the months leading up to legalization. Sadly, after legalization buds quickly vanished from the market.
- Laughing Buddha (grown and sold by Four Twenty Dispensary): Another strong and euphoric sativa strain with a rich and pungent flavor perfect for daytime activities.
- Citron CBD (grown and sold by Dr. Green Dispensary): Hands down the best CBD strain I have every tried. Aromatic, flavorful with complex and profound effects which do not include intoxication. An eye opener for meand a new part of my weekly routine.
- Headband (PHC Dispensaries): Headband for me is like chicken soup. Comfort food, comfort weed I suppose, which never lets me down—consistently is delicious, uplifting, and relaxing.
- Triple Scoop (PHC Dispensaries): Another comforting, delicious, uplifting, and relaxing strain. A warm welcoming hug of a bud.
- Colt 45 (grown and sold by Sweedlove, grown by Amber Farms and sold by Fat Buds): A classic OG strain with a pungent a earthy taste. Colt 45 is my go to for ending the day on a relaxed but aware note. It lets me think and break down problems while also relaxing my body and leaves me in a good mood.
- Emergen-C #034 (grown by Underground Grower and sold by Sukhumweed Exotics): Amazing orange flavors like nothing I have ever tried before. Emergen-C 34 is one of the first strains to highlight to me the endless potential of talent we have in our own back yard. Of note and with honorable mention is Sticky Jasmine, also from Underground Grower, a superb strain developed here in Thailand.
- Dirty Bird (grown by Canis Major and sold by Thai Top Shelf): Another master grower putting his finger print on the cannabis industry in Thailand and showcasing us to the world. Pungent and citrussy sour, this indica leaning hybrid relaxes me and leaves my brain functioning, engaged, and uplifted but fully relaxes my body and limits any physical abilities. A most welcome escape.
- Gas Face: (grown by Infamous Gardens and sold by Thai Top Shelf): Incredible thick flavorful clouds of smoke. A thing of delicious beauty. Happy, thoughtful and chill. A strain I cannot get enough of.
- Fruitonium: (grown by Thailand Dank Squad sold by Old Town Dispensary Chiang Mai): The star of the Thai High Convention in Chiang Mai for me. This delicious bud is uplifting and borderline psychedelic with waves of dreaminess and heightened vibrancy. Fruitonium is a tripavailable in both indoor and sun grown varieties (I have only tried the sun grow buds to date—and love them).
This above list is purely subjective—and while I hope all our friends consider and enjoy reading the above—I nonetheless urge you all to sit down and think of 2022, think of all the strains which you have individually enjoyed, jot them down and share them with the community. Think also of the year whichhas passed and all that we have accomplished individually and together. Think of where we are today. And lastly, think of where we, as a community want to be tomorrow. I am so excited to go into our first full year of legalization alongside this beautiful Thai cannabis community. A community which can work together, build together and protect each other.